Friday, June 22, 2012

Bicycle Riding Alternate Routes To and From Work.

It is refreshing to bicycle different routes to work every so often. Bicycle riding the same roads to and from work every day is uninspiring, a little boring, and possibly a little risky.

I have been exploring different routes to and from work and have found a great deal of enjoyment in having variety in choices. Of course, if I am tired after work and I am going home I want a direct route with few hills. If I am feeling good and refreshed I might choose to meander through the shady suburbs and rolling hills of Columbia MD. If I am bored I might explore a new road or path and sometimes an alley to find a different and interesting way to go.

As far as developing my cardiovascular health and well-being I feel it is best to add some variety because my old body gets into a rut and begins to accommodate the exercise instead of being challenged and growing through it. In other words, I feel better if I change my route every so often.

Going different ways keeps commuting on a bike from getting old and mundane. If I am on the same road every day I tend to get mesmerized and forget to pay attention to my surroundings which is a very dangerous thing on a bicycle.

It is fun to say, "Today I will tackle the big hill." and challenge myself; or to say, "Today I will enjoy the shade and see what is happening at the bridge." and let my bike drift on paths through the woods. That is part of the adventure of riding a bike to work- you don't know which way you may go from day to day.