Friday, January 2, 2015

Review of my New Bike Schwinn Discovery Hybrid

My old huffy mountain bike was getting old and was taking more of my time to work on it than I was riding it. The last straw was a rear tire that was out of true and needed to be replaced entirely.

WHY THIS BIKE
We looked over the internet and did a lot of comparison shopping; and I did visits to some bike shops. We had several criteria: price was top on the list. We wanted something that would get me to work reliably and able to tackle all the hills between here and there. My experiment with a mountain bike converted to a commuter was OK but I learned I wanted something lighter, quicker and smoother rolling. The new comfort bikes seemed to hit the mark so we chose the Schwinn Discovery.

SHIPPING AND ASSEMBLY
We are very happy with amazon and got the special shipping so it came in two days. The bike was double boxed and well packaged.

I guess about 90% of it was already assembled. I just had to put on the seat, handlebars, front tire, peddles, and the front fender. Having been tinkering on bicycles all my life there really was no problem. I had to do the front fender twice, the first time I mounted the top behind the bar but that brought the front edge against the tire so I remounted it in front of the bar and it was fine. From opening the box to getting on it and riding was less than an hour.

Assembled it was a beautiful bike to see.

SHAKE DOWN
I rode it around the parking lot at our condo and several neighbors were immediately interested in where they could get one too.  I expected there would be a few minor adjustments, there always is when you get one of these in a box. I felt one break pad needed to be a tiny bit lower. And after I rode on the streets a few miles I began to feel that the break cable could be tightened a bit. The rear fender rubbed the tire slightly but a twist of the mounting screw to move the rod that held the fender quickly fixed it. I was pleased that for the most part the factory put it together well and seemed to have high standards.

THE TEST RIDE
I rode it on the bike paths and on the streets both flat and hilly. The performance was wonderful compared to the bike I have been riding. The frame is much lighter than my old mountain bike- that alone will improve my experience. I am thrilled by the shock absorbers in the front forks and the seat stem, since I have a bad back this is as good as it can get. It climbed the hills better than my old mountain bike and the gears were as smooth shifting as I could hope for.

Over all I am happy now that I have owned it for about four hours and would give it five stars out of five.
Why I love My New Schwinn Discovery