Sunday, August 26, 2012

A life lesson from bumps riding my bike to work

Bicycling to work is usually a smooth ride; but there is one part of my journey where the trees have pushed up the asphalt with their roots making the road bumpy like the ridges of cardboard box.

IT'S LIFE
No matter how smooth the ride is there will be bumps, it is better if you know where they are but sometimes you just don't know they are coming; and you are coasting along on your bicycle when rattle and thump the bumps are trying to throw you to the ground.

In a perfect world the ride should be smooth but in the real world there are bumps along the way.

BE REAL
You know they are there and sooner or later you are going to ride over them, so don't bury your head in the sand and ignore the fact- sooner or later you are going to face bumps.

Not just riding a bicycle but in life you will have bumps, in your job, family, community, finances etc. bumps are going to come sooner or later.

WATCH FOR THE BUMPS
Don't just go along and look at the road right in front of your tire, by the time you see the bump you will be biting your tongue. Look ahead, in driver's education class my teacher called it, "aim high in your steering."  Look far up the road.  If you look ahead you can prepare, or avoid, or take some other action.

In life you need to take a few moments now and then to look ahead and see what is coming; ask yourself if your job will weather the next industrial shift or if the next family event will cause a crisis or if your finances are ready for the future. This takes imagination and effort but just as avoiding the fall off the bicycle and injury is worth looking ahead so is scanning the horizon of life is worth it.

HAVE A PLAN
Safety first, my plan is to always wear a helmet in case I do fall off my bike. Second I stand on the crank peddles when going over the bumps, keeping my knees bent and flexible to absorb the shocks. I watch my speed and slow down when approaching the bumps. Not all bumps are the same in nature or intensity so my plan must be fluid and I must be willing to change.

You must have a plan for the possible problems that are sure to come. It will be unique to your life so you must think it through on your own. Ask yourself what will you do if the house burns, or the car wrecks, or the business closes? Having a plan beforehand will help you ride over the bumps.

A COMPANION
I ride to work alone, it is unfortunate and not the best; I would prefer to commute with a partner who could watch out for me and I for him. It would give safety and greater pleasure on the ride. A companion might see what I miss and give warning, they might help me to keep alert; and if the worst happens and I take a tumble a companion would help pick me up and give aid.

In life we need companions; we are not designed to work well alone. We need to watch out for the bumps our companions may not see and listen to their warnings. You could ask your friends what they would do if they lost a job or had a family crisis, or put possible future bumps on the agenda of company meetings.

ENJOY
If you stay alert and safe you will have a healthy and safer ride, on your bike and in life.