Thursday, May 24, 2012

What Challenges Bicycling To Work?

Riding your bike to work every day challenges you in several ways. The first you think of is the physical challenge of actually peddling the bicycle the distance; other challenges are navigating safely through traffic or finding a route to take. The hidden challenge may be the greatest downfall of the daily commuter bicyclist- scheduling enough time to arrive on time with time to do all you need to do.

It is not just enough to ride a bike to work; you need to lock it up, clean up, and change into work attire. These things take time but that is not all, you need to have enough time even before you get on the bicycle to pack up your work clothes, lunch if you bring one, maybe you need a towel and washcloth, deodorant, or other items for the day.

WHAT WORKS FOR MANY:
It may take a few tries to figure out your personal schedule and needs for time management.
  • Some find routine helpful.
  • Some find preparing the day before helps.
  • Some just start earlier. 
  • Some leave things undone like breakfast.
  • Some write a schedule like an agenda.
  • Some just get to work late.

WHAT DOES NOT WORK FOR ME:
Not much works for me.
  • I am not an organized person, so keeping a schedule just tells me I am behind schedule. 
  • I am too busy to prepare the day before since I often close the store some nights and open the next morning.
  • I can't cut out breakfast or brushing my teeth the few minutes saved are not worth it.
  • I try to start earlier but end up rationalizing that since I am ahead of schedule I have time to squeeze in some little task and before long I am behind schedule again.
  • I try to get a routine down but my job has variable hours and my family has us all going in different directions.
  • I do get to work late a lot.

WHAT DOES WORK FOR ME:
I had to change the morning routine and give the carpool to my wife because after driving the kids to school I was always late to work. I keep everything close together so packing is easy and quicker. I have determined that my ride is about forty minutes and I need about fifteen at arrival to wash my face and clock in, so I leave an hour before I have to arrive. My boss knows I am riding my bike and understands I will be late sometimes.

THE BENEFITS OF BEATING THE CHALLENGE:
Bicycling mandates I deal with my lack of time management competence; it is forcing me to grow in character and in my planning abilities. This skill will become a strength in the work place and other areas of my life.

Bicycling is nothing like jumping into the car and racing to work to clock in on time. It requires more time and aforethought, but is worth the extra time it takes. You save money, get exercise, you are in better health and better shape; it is the right thing to do to conserve our resources.