Thursday, November 27, 2014

What is it like to bicycle in autumn?

Autumn is one of the best times to ride a bicycle. The cool air keeps you from getting too hot, the beauty of the changing seasons surround you, and the humidity is down so you don't get sticky.

I enjoy seeing the change in the local scenery. Gardens lose their colors, squirrels are crazily searching for nuts and seeds to hide away for the winter.  Homes have a quieter look about them since their occupants like the squirrels are preparing to nest for the winter.  The leaves overhead are brilliant in fiery colors; they fall in a lazy rain of yellows, reds, oranges, and browns.

There is one danger that is not often considered in riding a bicycle in autumn. Those beautiful leaves that color the trees blanket yards and roads. When they are wet they are slippery. When they are dry they hide potholes.

I was bicycling a different way home from work and my attention was divided between enjoying the beauty of autumn and looking at the road. I noted patches of leaves on the road and continued past some and through others. I went through a patch of leaves and my front wheel sank about eight inches below the ground. The bike stopped as the rear tire came up. I held onto the handlebar and was thrown into a handstand.  My ribs came back down onto the handlebar while my feet looked for mother earth. The bicycle twisted sideways and lay down like it was playing dead. Falling off I broke my fall with my hands and found myself on all fours.

I was fortunate and thankful that I did not suffer any injury other than bruises. Most people experience a broken wrist from that kind of fall. I surmise that my speed was just under the threshold which would have caused such an injury.

Every season has its beauties and challenges. If you are aware of the challenges and respect the dangers you can enjoy the beauties.