Wednesday, November 19, 2014

How Traffic Rhythims Affect The Quality Of Bicycling To Work

I never considered that traffic patterns could have such a major effect on the enjoyment and safety of bicycling to work, until I was late to work and saw different activities on the road.

I try to leave for work with enough time to cope with all the challenges of bicycling, but if I leave on time there is heavy traffic. A lot of cars compete to make the left turn at the second light I come to and then the cars bunch up behind me on the boulevard. I slowly negotiate left turns across lanes among cars. I pass several schools where the moms are crowding the curb to get into the parking lot.  There is a contractor's oversize van parked in my way as I come down a hill. The last half mile is fraught with speeding people late for work.

If I leave for work fifteen minutes early the patters are different. The school where the kids are being dropped off is quiet and only a few cars are there. Traffic is light at the mini mart. The left hand turns are easier nice since there are fewer cars on the road. The last half mile is a relaxing wind down on an almost empty road.

I do not often have the leisure to leave early. A few times I have been late and it was better than early since the traffic pattern was even lighter than the normal times. I could ride in the center of the lane without the worry of cars passing inches to my left, or bunching up behind me. I could drift across lanes and make a left turn without looking over my shoulder the whole way. The moms were gone now that they were done dropping kids off to school. The contractor's van had already left giving me a clear passage down the hill. The last half mile was the relaxing dream that bicycling to work should be.

It felt much safer to not have to concentrate on the traffic.

I do not have the liberty to make my own hours but if I did I would opt for the later commute which is more enjoyable.