Saturday, September 27, 2014

When I lost my lunch while bicycling to work.

I should have not been surprised that forgetting one of the little details before my bike ride will lead to a very bad day.

It is hard enough to manage the details of the morning but when you bicycle to work there are added dimensions to getting ready for the day. You have to have that change of clothes, extra deodorant, water bottle and so much more.

I checked to make sure I had everything I needed set in my back pack; clean socks and shorts, a washrag and face towel, my work shirt, my lunch, wallet, keys and other little things. If I forget something it is an hour ride back to the house to get it, and then an hour back to work; but it was all there.

I strapped my backpack to the back of the bike and pushed off to the morning ride.  It was a crisp morning but the cool helped me make head way and I was pushing my limits a little. Half way to my job I stopped at a light and heard something strange behind me, a thump. I looked around but there was no car nearby, so I didn't give it a thought and when the light turned green went on my way.

Later I was coasting down a nice slope and again wondered about that sound. Feeling uneasy I stopped and looked my bike over; when my eyes rested on my backpack strapped to the rack I realized the sound was my lunch falling out of the unzipped compartment of my pack.  A panicked search found my wallet and cell phone was still in  place since thier zipper was closed.

I rode back up the hill watching the gutter for the fruit and granola bars of my lunch bag. At the intersection there was no sign of my lunch bag. I considered tracing my route all the way back to home but would be over an hour late for work. I do not want to be the guy who is always late so I headed off to work thinking that I was going to eat out of the vending machine unless I could find a forgotten rice cake in my desk. It was going to be a long day without my snacks.

There are many things to remember when riding a bike to work daily but you must never forget to zip the zippers or you can just forget everything.