Friday, August 22, 2014

How Equipment Performance Affects Bicycling

I have an old bike. I bought it at Sears and I am generally very happy with it considering the price was under $100.00. I've ridden it for over ten years now and it shows.

As time went by I've had to make repairs and replace parts. Some parts I have scrounged off of abandoned bikes I have found next to dumpsters and in alleyways. There pieces that I got from different shops that do or do not deal in bicycles. Some of the components on this bike are not for this type of bike at all. Some of the parts do not work together so well.

Thier remains are some worn out pieces still- it is ongoing. The shifter on the left almost takes two hands to use. The front breaks are always needing adjusting. The rear wheel is out of true, and the front gear is badly worn, but I make it work.

I get on it and I know it is not a pleasure ride, I am just getting to work, and I know it will be work getting there.

Sometimes I think it is just too much trouble to ride this bike, that there are too many problems. I consider the pros and cons and often the pros win and I bicycle to work but occasionally the cons win and I drive the car. It is a decision I have to make every time.

 I realize that if your equipment does not work well you will need to be dedicated to riding and not casual about it. I often decide to ride my bike in spite of the problems with it, but it is a decision I have to remind myself of  that I'm dedicated to bicycling and accept the difficulties.