Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Bicycle Riding is Good For Depression.

Those closest to me know I have a struggle with depression. A slight word could send me into a dark mood with negative thoughts for days. Sometimes I don't know why but I get depressed and go for long walks at night and spend hours feeling sorry for myself and reliving every failure I ever experienced.

I do not know the science behind it but exercise seems to help, and riding a bike, in particular, seems to lift my mood. Maybe it is the chemicals in the brain that start to flow, or maybe it is the pounding of the heart that makes the body go into overdrive, I do not know exactly but something positive happens when I bicycle to work.

Forget all the neurological biological science stuff it is hard to feel down when you are dodging potholes, avoiding cars, grinding through gears up a hill, and trying to get through an intersection before the cement mixer rolls over you. There is just no freedom to think depressing thoughts because you are focused on getting to work without a visit to the ER on the way.

Driving is lazy on the brain. You can drive a car without thinking about it and so you spend your time thinking gloomy stuff; especially if the radio is playing some country or other sad music. Then you just drift to work while thinking sorry dark thoughts.

Driving a car to work is no big thing;but if you bicycle to work you have accomplished something before you even punch the time-clock. People are impressed and over time you become a legend. It is hard to be depressed when you are a legend.

Bicycling to work is not a cure for depression but for me it helps and enough things that help can make a big difference overall.